Who We Are and What We Believe In
The mission of Certified Alcohol Training is to provide accurate, effective, and state-of-the-art responsible beverage service training to the hospitality industry which advances the professionalism of the industry, supports the vitality of the communities in which its members operate, and mitigates alcohol-related harm throughout California.
Our vision is that, one day, no underage or intoxicated person will be sold or served an alcoholic beverage at a business in California.
- Customer commitment – We value our customers and partner with them to better understand and address their needs. We strive to exceed their expectations, and in doing so, we hope to create a devoted following of loyal customers.
- Competence – We believe that our customers deserve to be served by experts. We hire bright people with expertise in the industry who are passionate about delivering reliable and competent training.
- Continuous improvement – We are committed to continuous process and product improvement. We believe if we are not continuously changing, evolving, improving and innovating, we’re not living up to our standards for excellence.
- Making a difference – We want everything about our company, internally and externally, to benefit the greater California community as we strive to create a safer California.
Meet Our Team
Jerry R. Jolly
Chief Executive Officer
With over 45 years of experience in the alcoholic beverage industry, Jerry has led a long and distinguished career in government leadership and consulting in the wine, beer and spirits practice.
After having served in nearly every capacity within the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, Jerry was appointed Director of the agency by then-Governor Schwarzenegger in 2004. Jerry has been credited with increasing compliance with alcoholic beverage laws through the development and implementation of some of the agency’s most innovative prevention and enforcement programs to date.
One such program he led was the Department’s award-winning LEAD (Licensee Education on Alcohol and Drugs) Program during which ABC trained thousands of California licensees, managers and employees on the special responsibilities associated with the sale and service of alcoholic beverages. It is now the model for statewide training for off-sale licensees and the precursor for establishing RBS training for on-sale businesses throughout the state.
As Director, Jerry provided strategic vision for the agency by refocusing the agency’s efforts on what it does best – making a difference in our communities. During that time, the agency, its employees, and its programs received regional, state, and national recognition.
Following his retirement from ABC, Jerry served for 15 years as a consultant for the global law firm of Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman counseling the firm’s beverage industry clients on California’s complex regulatory scheme regarding the manufacture, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages. He also kept them abreast of legislative and regulatory changes and provided professional training to their management and staff.
As a result of his experience in the field, Jerry has built an impressive network of contacts throughout the state and nation and has established a reputation in the alcoholic beverage industry as an innovator and problem-solver.
Jerry has a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice from California State University, Long Beach, and is a graduate of the FBI National Academy, Class 192.
As Chief Executive Officer of Jerry R. Jolly and Associates, LLC, Jerry is responsible for networking and business development, and helping build public awareness of the responsible practices and professionalism of the alcoholic beverage industry. He is also a frequent guest speaker on best practices in responsible beverage service.
Meet Our Trainers
Manuel “Manny” Diaz is the former Assistant Director for the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control’s Northern Division region and is one of the initial RBS trainers for Jerry R. Jolly and Associates.
Raised in the Central Valley, Manny spent the duration of his law enforcement career in Northern California. A 28-year veteran of ABC, Manny has come to be regarded as an expert not only in alcoholic beverage licensing, trade practices, and enforcement matters, but also in the unique culture, lifestyle, and sense of community that exists in the Bay Area and throughout Northern California.
Having begun his law enforcement career as an Investigator Trainee in the Oakland District Office, Manny rose through the ranks at ABC to Supervising Investigator of the San Francisco District Office, then to District Administrator of the Santa Rosa District Office. There he oversaw the state’s largest concentration of non-retail licensees, including many internationally-acclaimed wineries and wine producers. Manny went on to promote to Northern Division Deputy Division Chief, ultimately rounding out his career as the Northern Division Assistant Director where he provided direction and guidance for the 11 district and special unit operations spanning from Kings County to the Oregon border.
Since retiring from ABC, Manny has served as a consultant for a Bay Area law firm specializing in the wine, beer, and spirits trades. He is actively involved in his church and community. Manny has a Bachelor of Science degree from California State University, Fresno.
About the Online Course
- Learn anytime from anywhere, 24/7.
- Mobile-friendly, self-paced course, easily completed in one sitting in as little as 1-1/2 hours.
- User-friendly, interactive platform will keep you interested, engaged and motivated to learn.
- Excellent support to help you pass the state exam.
- Downloadable and printable RBS Training Guide and full-size Certificate of Completion.